Sunday, July 10, 2011

Laundry Room Redo

This has been a work in progress for a couple of years now. But, it is finally in a place where I can share with you the almost finished room.
 
BEFORE
Can you believe how heinous this room was? It's such a weird sized room and we used it as storage until we could turn it into a proper laundry room. Yes, that means I had to take my laundry to the laundromat for a year or so.  :(


Drum roll please..... Here is the almost finished laundry room.  I still plan to add blue damask curtains to the windows. 


First thing we did was paint the wood paneling a nice clean white.  The orange and blue color scheme was inspired by the navy blue washer and dryer.  I found this orange fabric at IKEA and fell in love with the birds.  I bought some orange spray paint and painted 2 old lamps I had, as well as the wood shelf hanging on the wall.  I found the most adorable lamp shades at Target.  Perfect match!

 

Then, because this room was not meant to be a laundry room, all the plumbing forced the washer and dryer to sit out from the wall. This drove me nuts, so I had to come with a solution to hide the pipes. I watched a tutorial on Building a Laundry Table via the DIY network. My dad helped me cut the wood and my mom helped me paint the laundry table and the small chest in the corner a pale grey/blue color. Finally I hemmed the fabric and stapled it underneath the laundry table. My dad and I also nailed long strips of wood to the bottom of the table to keep it from moving when the washer and dryer are running.

I then outfitted the room with some cute nicknacks. Including an apothecary jar with vintage clothespins and some small birds and candles. I even made my own version of the Keep Calm and Carry On posters. Here is my creation!


Overall, I couldn't be more pleased with how it all turned out.  Now, I just need to get busy actually doing my laundry.  I hate that part!

0 comments:

Post a Comment